Monday, September 12, 2011

mutsuki-an and my ninety-four-year-old nan.



Mutsuki-An is an adorable little sushi restaurant perfectly placed smack-dab in the middle of my 'hood that serves some of the freshest sushi I've tried on the island. While they don't get crazy with their rolls (and there's no tempura on the menu! my poor arteries!) the quality-for-price of their seafood is unmatched, as far as I'm concerned, I love the staff, and the experience feels very "authentic" to me, like sushi you'd actually find in Japan.

My nana is an adorable (and brave!) little 94-year-old who had never before tried sushi.

Let the precious photos begin... (hint: watch for a spicy california roll being cut with a knife and fork).





imagine?!?! love the atmosphere this promotes.


soybean dumplings with a spicy mustard make a delicate and delicious starter. 

 

recently I've gotten into their donburi bowls. the spicy tuna and avocado donburi is a bowl of sushi rice topped with marinated fresh tuna, spicy chilli sauce and mayo and a generous serving of ripe avocado and green onions. 





my nana opted for the spicy california roll, against our server's suggestion that she start off with the regular. what a gal!


 a simple crab roll with real crab meat (such a treat compared to the imitation crab most sushi restaurants serve) avocado, lettuce and cucumber.


skipped the chopsticks and did it her way.


the third sushi-date member, my gorgeous mama!



Mutsuki-An
2075 Cadboro Bay Road
Victoria, B.C.
V8R 5G4
(250) 595-0378
www.mutsuki-an.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh My Word. I want that Spicy Tuna and Avocado donburi bowl immediately. Perhaps you and I take a quick trip back to the Island for dinner? xo

    ReplyDelete